BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, December 20, 2010

Colorado, Camp, and Kids

Seeing a little bit of how God has a bigger picture.

Being out here it’s really taken me into an element of being away from familiarity which has been difficult at times but also a good thing I’m sure. After a few days of work in and around the ski school I’m understanding some of the things that are being molded into my life. I know for me when it comes to work I need words of encouragement or I will doubt my performance. Although rare there are one or two supervisors who absolutely pour out such encouraging things when you are around. I find that so refreshing to find someone that has that ability to be such a positive force with a seamless effort. Yesterday I worked in TLC (which me being dumb, stand for tender, love, and care), as well as working the “magic carpet helping kids on it and picking them up if they fell. This isn’t to brag on myself but I caught myself learning every kid’s name and every time they hit the lift I would say something encouraging to let them know they were doing great. Sure I could compare this to camp because it has that same emphasis, but yesterday felt different.  It almost felt effortless like a second-nature. I don’t know what triggered it but I know one of my weaknesses is my ability to dispense encouraging words to others often. I know that needs to be something I must do in any job setting. It is a trait that I think any good leader needs to have. One person that comes to mind from camp is Stretch. He is the same age as myself yet he has such an amazing ability to say something with a genuine heart that can just put a notion of confidence in your step or a smile to your face.

It’s kind of sad but it’s so easy to be critical of those we know the best. We forget the importance of building one another up as humans. Knowing that I can’t help but think the more time I spend at Strong Rock the more it truly feels like a home, that can be good but also bad. Growing comfortable can cause us to forget the things that are so valuable to us. Yet the moment we lose them we then wish that the time wasn’t taken for granted. So it reminds me of the hard moments at camp and the day off is so highly anticipated, but come November we really wish we were back at camp. Maybe my abilities of being a good worker are solid but have lost a touch of excitement and joy because of the time spent in one place. I don’t want to come back the same as before. I want to be that positive force that really builds people up as opposed to that person that has just been around for a while.

Which brings me to understanding a few things out here in Colorado.


  • I have been taken out of my element to grow as a person in understanding the way in which God can and will use me or develop me. Honestly I think being out here most of what my Father will be doing is developing me as his child in so many new ways, in turn this could be a place He will use me to reach somebody out here. 
  • I’ve discovered skiing is not a passion of mine. Don’t get me wrong because I really do enjoy it but at the end of the day it’s just another thing to occupy idle time. I think I’m more fueled by other activities like tennis or climbing.
  • Other than the fact that I am working with kids I really see that I am fairly driven by a paycheck. I don’t really like that feeling because I really don’t care too much about money. I think much of it is due to the lack of structure some days and the overall employee atmosphere. I would suggest 75% of them took this job to ski for free, 15% because they wanted to work with kids, and 10% because they needed a job/money. 
  • Knowing my drive here really makes me appreciate working at camp. I honestly love working at camp, really I don’t even think of it as working. It is more like serving and having fun along the way. I think a paycheck is at the bottom of my priorities. The solid backbone and infrastructure of camp is awesome to me, the majority of people that come out to serve blows me away. What a wonderful world it would be to see where all jobs were driven by the beating hearts of people with a passion to serve.
  • 3 year olds in ski boots would have to be added to my top 5 funniest things to see in life. Not only are they cute but they are so funny to watch trying to walk around. Also for some reason little kids enjoy eating snow more than they do skiing.
  • Public transportation is never a sure thing. The weather out here is highly unpredictable. It can be sunny and pretty but 10 degrees out side. Then it will be cloudy and puking snow at a comfortable 45 degrees. It makes no sense at all.
  • I don’t know if it’s the cold or what, but the music I am listening to has transition from rock/pop to folk/blues. Speaking of which go check out Willy Mason, Sea Wolf, and Jeremy Fisher.
  • I will have to argue the whole mountain debate though. I will still take the Appalachians any day over the Rockies. Sure the Rockies are big…but they lack the unique appeal than what I am used to. Just my opinion of course but I’ll still argue my case either way.
  • Wow, surprised I hadn't mentioned this before but the internet here in The EDGE is absolutely awful. It is really hit and miss, most of the time it is super slow…meaning virtually unresponsive.


This is definitely a long blog. Yes, I know I said I would shoot for some new pictures, but I have obviously failed to provide. Just imagine pine trees and lots of snow. It’s about as exciting as saying “snow and pine trees”.

- Thomas

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Camp is a better place because of the impact that you've made here. We miss you and are praying that you will impact others there for His glory!

Michelle said...

First of all, ever since I heard about 5 year olds in ski gear I've thought it would be the cutest/funniest thing in the world to see!!
Second, I am so glad that you are able to see ways in which God is teaching and growing you through this experiance. It sounds like this experiance is showing you things about yourself that will benefit you for the rest of you life and I'm excited to see you being so open to what God is showing you. It is always nice when we can look back on a situation and see where God was working but I feel like its is not often that we recognize how God is changing us during the process.
Third, back to the five year olds, it makes me smile to imagine you working with the little kids everyday. I know the heart you have and I know your interactions with them each day are coming from a desire to show them love even in a job that doesn't require that. I guess Strong Rock's mission has been embedded in you pretty well!! But seriously, I love that you have that same attitude in a work enviroment that only requires that you accomplish the job.
Fourth, I may miss you while you are gone and I may worry about you being in CO alone but I know this will continue to be a life changing experiance for you. My encouragement may not mean much from 1500 miles away but I know you are doing a great job. The work you are doing may seem insignificant to the kids you are working with but you may never know how much your personal attention and encouragement means to some of the kids you encounter.
Fifth, I was thinking about climbing the other day, and I really wanna go climbing when you get home.
Sixth, I've written way too much and I'm impressed if you're still reading so I'm gonna quit...for now. Keep up the good work, you are almost always on my mind, and continue to be open to what God is teaching you!!